Thursday, January 31, 2008

Online-Missionary Success

I made a new friend, not too long ago, on lds.net. One, day, I had a message in my inbox from a woman who had some questions about the Church. I answered them as well as I could at the moment. The next day, I had more questions from my new friend (I have been getting a lot of questions lately from people curious about the Church). One of her first messages shared her past history with the Church (I have quoted it mostly word for word):

“Hi Rusty.
Thank you so much for answering my question….
So far, the little bit of info I have acquired about the Mormon beliefs has been answering my questions that nobody else (other religions) has been able to. Like the female aspect of god, once saved always saved, one true religion, one true doctrine, and one true God.
I’ve always known the Bible to be true, but I felt there was more, like where are the prophets of today?
I once was baptized into the Mormon Church but caught so much adversity from my mom (a pentecostle) that I basically had a nervous breakdown and just quit going.
The only time in my life I have felt at peace, full of joy, and truly loved was the short time that I was in the Mormon Church. My mom currently lives with me, I feel led to do more research in the Mormon Church. Of course I am facing extreme hostility from my mom but told her I will continue my search, and she has no right to judge without all the facts.
There are always two sides to a story. She only knows the world’s view of Mormonism, not the actual Mormon side itself. She refuses to seek the answers as to what and why the Mormons believe what they do, but will make fun of the beliefs and say they are all liars and doomed for hell.
I love and respect my mom with all my heart. I do not want to argue with her. I want her to leave me alone in my search, without the mockery and hostility.
Thank you to you and others who are seeking truth and actually researching and helping enlightening others who are too!”

From what our friend has told me, I get the feeling that she was once deeply touched by the Spirit, and recognizes the void that was left when she stopped going to Church.
I answered her questions as they came, and did the best I could to help her.
I signed into my account tonight to check what new messages or questions I had waiting for me. I felt deep gratitude and joy as I read her most recent message (again, mostly word for word-just grammatical edits):

“Hello Rusty,
I thought I had burned you out on questions? I have been studying a lot in the King James Bible. All is starting to make since now that you gave me insight; now I just cannot wait for my new Book of Mormon! -And to read the Articles of Faith & Doctrines and Covenants. My family and I are going to the Rockport branch this Sunday. Can you believe it?!

Complete Gratitude,
…”


Elder Ballard has recently suggested that those who are able should start doing what they can to use new media to share and defend the gospel. I was just recently asked by my ward to give a fireside on this topic. People were amazed at how big of an impact regular members of the Church are making (I showed results of many people's efforts). Not only will my new friend be going back to Church, she is taking her family with her.

“12 For there are many yet on the earth among all sects, parties, and denominations, who are blinded by the subtle craftiness of men, whereby they lie in wait to deceive, and who are only kept from the truth because they know not where to find it—
13 Therefore, that we should waste and wear out our lives in bringing to light all the hidden things of darkness, wherein we know them; and they are truly manifest from heaven—
14 These should then be attended to with great earnestness.”
-D&C 123:12-14

I am so grateful to be involved in the work. Carry on brothers and sisters! We are making a difference.

Best Wishes,
Rusty
truthisrestored.blogspot.com

No comments:

....get new posts emailed to you....

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

 
Thanks for visiting. Subscribe to my feed to keep updated.